Monday, May 04, 2009

Farm Thoughts


I found an article today written by another farmer. Wow, did he hit the nail on the head of what we have been feeling here on our little homestead. I encourage you to go read it at the following link: http://midlandagrarian.blogspot.com/2009/05/agrarian-rat-race.html
I have had these exact same thoughts. I may not MAKE any extra income, but if I can save $10,000 from not having to buy items at the grocery store then that is quite an income indeed! We still have a large grocery bill even though we raise most of our own vegetables. The real savings comes when we no longer have to purchase our meat at the store. It won't be much longer now seeing as how the cow, the sheep, and the chickens are all growing by the day! We also drink an enormous amount of milk in our house. I could save a ton of money by milking the cow. Perhaps one day I can really achieve that goal, but for today I will be happy with meat and veggies!
grace and peace,
julie

5 comments:

Amy Ellen said...

I can so relate on the grocery bill. I hope to soon be out in the country where we can raise food to eat, and have a cow or goats..... The pictures of course are lovely thanks for sharing.
Hugs
Amy

Unknown said...

i read that article too and so true. you will either grow to be self substaining or grow as a HUGH CORPORATION, no middle way any more. in the corporate world for a long time, i read and it is so true, we no longer have a middle class. either poor or rich and i am so POOOOOOR. haha.not really, so rich in GOD. but he is right about the way we grow and why today.good article!

Unknown said...

i read that article too and so true. you will either grow to be self substaining or grow as a HUGH CORPORATION, no middle way any more. in the corporate world for a long time, i read and it is so true, we no longer have a middle class. either poor or rich and i am so POOOOOOR. haha.not really, so rich in GOD. but he is right about the way we grow and why today.good article!

Paige said...

Love the article--and the pic! Too cute!

TnFullQuiver said...

Thanks y'all! I have reread the article several times and agree with it more eachh and every time I read it!!!
grace and peace,
julie