Saturday, December 09, 2006

Saturday Fun and Chores

We have enjoyed a nice Saturday. It has been very cold here the last few days so we decided to work inside as much as possible. We spent part of yesterday moving weight equipment out from our basement which is our older boys' room into Michael's shop. We are wanting to make the boys' room double as a family room to add a bit more space to our home. Now we have to rearrange the shop to accommodate the extra items.

After attending a Christmas party for our children this morning, we came back home and chilled out for a bit. Then we started making soap. I really enjoyed working on this project. It has been a long time since we last made soap. We made three different batches...1.Peppermint 2.Lime moisturizer bars 3. BeesWax and cocobutter soap. Soap making is like planting seeds. You have to be patient to see what your end product will be like. I don't like the waiting part, but in 4 to 6 weeks I will know how well we did.

Michael and I always make soap together. It is a fun project, and we enjoy the time spent together. Michael is a very precise person. I am very laid back for the most part. Michael actually works in an environment that he must be exact in everything he does. I do not. I was messing with the lye without wearing gloves, and he commented on it. I replied that it wasn't a big deal because if you get lye on your skin you can use vinegar to stop the burn. (This is true). He looked at me as if I had two heads and replied back something about Dr.'s being able to sew your fingers back on so we might as well cut them off on the table saw!!!! I put the gloves on for his sake, and everything went fine for the rest of the afternoon.

After soap making, we cleaned up the kitchen and started hair cuts. Michael cuts our boys' hair, and this saves a tremendous amount of money as well as time. Our 2 yr. old hates having his hair cut, and last April he ended up having a buzz cut due to his lack of cooperation. I really didn't want that to happen again so we have put off cutting his hair at all. He cooperated this time with much coaxing, and Michael did a great job.

This pretty much sums up our Saturday. We are all relaxing tonight, and I will soon start putting little people to bed. I usually like having everything ready for church the night before. However tonight I think I will just head off to bed and get up a bit earlier in the morning.

grace and peace,
julie

No comments: