Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Ravioli Casserole

Do you happen to have a lot of lettuce growing in your garden?  We sure do, and it seems that I plan my meals around salad these days.  I also have a nice herb garden complete with fresh basil so I decided that I wanted to make an Italian dish for supper.  My family loves Italian meals, but the problem is that most of those meals are time consuming.  It doesn't bother me to simmer a pot of sauce for hours if I am going to be at home.  On occasion, I have used the crock pot to cook my sauce.  However, I have been on the lookout for a good Italian meal that is quicker than the average homemade Italian dishes that I usually serve my family.  I found that dish in the new Taste of Homes Church Supper magazine. The recipe was submitted by Margie Williams and it was wonderful.  ALL of my kids enjoyed it, which is amazing because it doesn't contain any meat!  Hope you enjoy!!!

1 package (25 oz) frozen cheese ravioli
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
1/2 cup minced fresh basil
3 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese, divided
3/4 cup grated Parmesan Cheese, divided
2 1/2 cups Marinara ( I used a Prego brand for convenience, but it would be fantastic with a homemade one)

Cook ravioli according to package directions.  Drain.  In a large saucepan, melt butter.  Stir in flour and salt.  Continue to stir until smooth.  Gradually add milk and wine.  (I used chicken broth because my husband said I couldn't open the special wine just for cooking).  Bring  to a boil;  cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened.  Remove from the heat.  Stir in fresh basil, 1 cup mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.

Toss drained ravioli with white sauce mixture.  Transfer to a greased 13x9 baking dish.  Top with 1 cup mozzarella cheese and marinara sauce.  Sprinkle remaining cheeses on top.

Cover and bake at 375 for 30 minutes.  Uncover and bake 10 more minutes or until bubbly.  Let stand 15 minutes before serving.

Serve with a fresh garden salad and homemade bread sticks!  If your men fuss about the lack of meat, you could cook up some fresh Italian Sausage and add it with the marinara sauce.  I am sure it would be fantastic!

grace and peace,
julie

2 comments:

Carmen S. said...

The ravioli dish sounds good! Our lettuce is coming slowly, I've been using the spinach for salads as it grew much faster:)

Marcy k said...

Julie, I wanted to try a new dish so I made the Ravioli Casserole yesterday. Wow! Delicious...and so easy! This was a big hit with our entire family! Thank you for sharing!