Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Garden Progress

We have been enjoying fresh lettuce for several weeks now.   I always love the salads made with our garden lettuce. 

I cut my lettuce in the morning while it is still cool outside.  I use a bread knife to cut it, and then I bring it into the house and soak it in a sink full of cold water.  I then use my salad spinner to spin it dry.  I usually cut enough lettuce to last us at least several days. I store my clean lettuce in a plastic bread bag in the refrigerator.   It is a chore to wash and dry the lettuce, but I find that we use it more if it is prewashed. 

Since we are eating so many salads, this gives me plenty of free calories to enjoy strawberry cake and coffee on the front porch.  Okay, that may not actually be true, but it did sound plausible!  (Strawberry Cake recipe coming soon)!

grace and peace,
julie

2 comments:

Carmen S. said...

OH yummy strawberry cake deliciousness!!!! Your lettuce looks great, ours is only about 3 inches tall, can't wait for those summer salads! Enjoy the day!!!!

Sheryl said...

Yeah Strawberry Cake! I make your Apple Cake and my family loves it! Looking forward to trying the Strawberry!!