Friday, November 11, 2011

Happy Veterans Day

What does a veteran look like?  They are fathers, husbands, brothers, sons, and friends.  They are mothers, wives, sisters, daughters, and friends.  They come in all shapes and sizes, but they have one thing in common.  A desire to serve our country and protect our freedoms. 

Thank you always seems like such a cliche thing to say on Veteran's Day.  However, it is all I have to give to the people who have given so very much for me.  Then I realized just recently that I have more than just words on my lips.  I have actions.  I watched my 14 year old son do something that brought me to tears in Walmart several months back.  As we were checking out the groceries, he walked to an elderly man sitting on a bench wearing a hat that said he was a veteran.  Jacob went up to the man and shook his hand and said, "Thank you for serving our country."  The man smiled, and at that moment I knew I had more to give to a veteran than just a thank you.  My husband and I have passed on the value of veterans to our children. 

Many of you know that my husband served almost 12 years in the Navy.  At times it was hard, but I am so thankful for all that time taught us as a couple.  I am so thankful for the friendships that were formed from those days of being in the military. Many of those friendships still remain today.  I am so thankful for the job/career that the Navy trained my husband for today.  I am so very thankful that I was a Navy wife in those early years of our marriage.  I know the cost, and I am still thankful.

grace and peace,
julie

1 comment:

Carmen S. said...

That look on Seth's face is priceless, LOL! Your son is a wonderful young man, many don't realize how much a *Thank You* can mean:)