Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Fruit Trees Welcome Spring



Here are pictures of our 2nd year peach tree. I was delighted when I saw the beautiful blooms the other evening. Then I remembered that I must pinch the flowers off the trees again this year. Ughhh...I hate doing that. It seems against my mothering nature. I spent much time caring for these trees, and now I am expected to take off all of the beautiful flowers. Tim from Urban Homestead PROMISED me that in the end I would be very pleased if I would follow his advice and pinch off the flowers. He is the tree professional...I am not. He has assured me that by picking off the flowers that our trees will put more effort into growing into strong healthy trees instead of trying to produce fruit these first few years. By trying to produce fruit, it takes away from the tree's ability to become a stronger tree. Well, I followed his advice and I picked the flowers off our now naked tree. It is so hard for me to do this. I will tell you something else that I have a terrible time doing. I can't stand to see our trees pruned. I am not talking about our large apple tree, but all of our young trees are the ones that I hate to see being pruned. It seems like they take 2 steps forward in growing, and then we cut them 1 step back. Tim spent much time talking to us about the pruning process of the young trees. He was wonderful at showing how to prune and WHY it is so important. He sold me on the need of pruning the trees, but I still don't have to like it.
grace and peace,
julie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just stopped by to say hi and that you and your darling daughter have been in my thoughts lately. Your new cabinets are gorgeous. You've also motivated me to attempt starting some seeds inside. I made a stab at it last year without much success in the long run. Taylor has been wearing one of the dresses H gave her all winter long. Thanks for being such a blessing!

TnFullQuiver said...

Mary Ellen,
I am so happy to hear from you. I would love to get together one spring day. I have a terrible spring cold so when I feel better perhaps we could meet at a park. If you would like, you are more than welcome to bring the kids and come on out here. I am glad that you are going to try to raise some seeds indoors. I have been pleased thus far. I am thrilled that Taylor is enjoying the clothes. Hope has grown so much in the last few months that she has outgrown everything. I also found one of the outfits that I had loved so much that I wanted Taylor to have. I'll get it to you soon. It is a summer outfit, and I am not for sure Taylor can even wear it this year. Hope wore it last summer. Take care and have a great day!

grace and peace,
julie